The Gilbert Plains Beef Ring Building
The Gilbert Plains Beef Ring Building represents the innovation of prairie pioneers in coping with their environment. This building was a small slaughterhouse, where each week during the summer a member of the Beef Ring supplied a steer that was kept overnight and processed the next day. Each member’s portion was placed in his sugar sack and hung on the row of nails along two walls. The Beef Ring operated from 1923 until 1951 when rural electrification made it unnecessary. Call to arrange a tour.