If these blackboards could talk…
A historic school room in the Parkland

Cowan School Districts 1132, 2305 and 1808 Museum


West School #1132, now a one?room schoolhouse museum, is located next to Kolisnyk's General Store in Cowan on PTH10. Moved to the site and restored in 2003, the town’s treasure has an oiled hardwood floor, cedar shingles and siding made by a student from the 1940s. Inside are blackboards, desks, books, maps, stove, boiler and more. » more

Hillcrest School No. 1559


Prior to its move to Roblin on the back side of the St. Vlads College overlooking the old-time outdoor hockey rink (which is still intact with picturesque lighting), this 1911 built one-room school operated until the 1960s. » more

Horod School


Built in 1906 and now a provincial heritage site, the school still has its original teacherage and privies. Since its restoration, Horod School is now a museum. Horod is an ancient term for a stockade or fort. » more

Marconi School


Built in 1922 with an opening class of 69 students, Marconi School was used until 1958. In 1992 the school was restored. » more

Merridale School No. 1480


This former school building was converted into a community centre after it closed in 1967. Recent restoration of the building has been taken on by the younger generation of the community and much revival work has been done. The centre now hosts an annual snowmobile derby in the winter and an all-terrain vehicle event in summer, known as the Merridale Mayhem Mud Bog. » more

South Bay School


It looks like a basic one-room school, but South Bay School is a reminder of the careful attention to design observed by the Department of Education. The simple rectangular plan, with a band of windows on the south side and continuous roof surface over the entry vestibule, helped reduce construction costs. The school now serves as the South Bay Community Centre. » more

Tamarisk School


Built in 1909, Tamarisk School is an example of a Design No. 2 school built according to plans prepared by the Department of Education. The school closed in 1967. 

» more