An authentic replica of the Notre Dame de Lourdes grotto was constructed in Ste. Rose to commemorate the centennial of the appearance of the Virgin Mary to Ste. Bernadette in France in 1858. Construction delays resulted in the blessing of the site taking place a few years behind schedule, in 1961—the town church had burned down during construction and had to be rebuilt. In total, 400 loads of stone were brought to the site, both by truck and horse?drawn wagon.